Reasons why Democrats initiate a political trial against President Donald Trump a few days before completing his term.
(Here the reasons in super condensed mode):
By Laura De Rosa
1. Disqualify him from running as a presidential candidate in the 2024 elections
2. Disqualify him from holding public office in the future (section 3 of Amendment 14 of the US Constitution prohibits any person who has participated in an ‘insurrection’ or ‘rebellion’ from holding public office)
3. Remove his benefits granted to their predecessors according to the Ex-Presidents Act (1958) that includes a pension, medical insurance, a travel budget of up to US $ 1 million and a series of security measures, all paid by taxpayers.
4. Make it easier for the Republican Party to remove Trump from its ranks
5. Associate the terms with his name and surname (important in this Tech era) the terms: ‘Insurrection’, ‘Threat to democracy’, ‘Domestic terrorism’, ‘Betrayal of the Constitution’, ‘Betrayal of the country’ and ‘sedition
6. Affect him economically on his businesses (when he officially return to the private sector) for existing contracts or contracts to be renewed between the public-private and private-private sectors.
If the impeachment is approved in the House of Representatives (where only a simple majority is required), the case goes to the Senate, where a two-third majority is needed to convict the president.
Note: the Senate begins to work on January 19, 2021, that is, one day before Biden’s inauguration.
If the Impeachment process is approved, the new Senate would divide half a day for the laws to work in the Biden government (the first 100 days) and half a day to continue with the Impeachment to Trump.
By Laura De Rosa
Internacionalista. Analista politico. Especialista en Analisis de data y escenarios (prognosis) para empresas e inversionistas.